What size Caravan or Fifthwheel can I tow?

After towing law changes in 2010 you can now tow a Caravan up to 2.55 metres wide including awning, and up to 7 metres long (Body Only) with a tow vehicle up to 3500kg GVWR. If you want to tow a Caravan longer than that you need a tow vehicle with a GVWR of over 3500kg. But the width stays the same. Fifthwheels are the same width, but you can go straight up to 12.2 metres. Remember never to exceed the tow vehicle plated towing capacity.

What driving license do I need?

If you are driving a UK tow vehicle (Nissan Navara, Ford Ranger or similar) with a GVWR under 3500kg and towing a Caravan or Fifthwheel you will only need a BE Category which was issued as standard before January 1st 1997. If anyone paid for a driving test after that date they will have had to have taken an extra test to tow a Caravan. If you are driving a larger tow vehicle i.e. with a GVWR over 3500kg you will need a CIE these again were a standard issue before 1997 but you may have a 107 restriction which limits your gross train weight to 8250kgs. This restriction is not applied to a BE Category.

What does the STT Group offer over their competitors?

When you buy a new or used unit from the STT Group you can rest assured that it has been through a vigorous 100 point Pre-Delivery inspection, a new Gas Safety inspection certificate and Electrical Certification. All units will have been checked that they comply with all current UK Regulations including CE approved brakes, Mechanical handbrake and brake away and a CE approved chassis.

What should we look for when buying a Fifthwheel?

Firstly make sure it complies with all road regulations, any dealer should be able to show you all the relevant approvals and government website links to prove their knowledge and compliance with these regulations. All Caravans and Fifthwheels should be fitted with an approved breaking system (NOT the American Electric Brakes with a controller mounted in the cab of the tow vehicle.) It should also have a mechanical hand brake with brakeaway. All gas and electrical systems should be certified for your safety as a lot of importers just use USA brakes with no handbrake and fit a transformer and sockets on 110V USA cabling or use 110V cabling for 220V! All STT Group products carry a Cris registration and are seeking NCC (National Caravan Council) product approval.

Do you fit Fifthwheel Hitches?

Yes we fit the new CE Approved Eurohitch Fifthwheel hitch NOT the USA hitches that are not approved for use in the UK Europe.

Can we buy the tow vehicle from you?

Yes we also supply New and Used pickups both UK and American imports. We also have an exclusive arrangement with UK manufacturers for new vehicles.

Do you take part exchanges?

Yes we will happily part exchange all UK, European and American Caravans, Fifthwheels, Motorhomes, Cars and Trucks. We have even been known to take boats.

I am 70, Can I tow a Fifthwheel?

When you reach 70 you will have to take a medical every year to keep your CE category on your driving license. This means that you may not be able to drive a larger UK/European or American motorhome but you can tow a caravan or fifthwheel as long as your tow vehicle does not exceed 3500kg GVWR.

Do you uprate vehicles?

Yes we do. We exclusively have arrangements with DVLA to uprate the gross train weight of UK trucks to 8250kg. Much more than the competition who can only offer 5250kg.